Our sub-conscious captures and records everything that your senses perceive and use it to
- Create patterns that in turn give boundaries to your personality, beliefs and perception of reality.
- Defines your Auto Pilot, all your automatic behaviors, impulses and thought processes.
More than 85% of your reaction to people, situations and environment are an outcome of Subconscious mind. Sometime people brush it off, considering it as innate nature of an individual.
If that is so, How come the same person reacts differently in different situations? The same person who is considered rather cool personality, is very irritated or cranky with family or vice versa. Why does a seemingly well balanced personality react violently to some situations. Some say, “The access out of this type of thinking, action or behavior, is rooted in our Emotional Intelligence”.
What is this Emotional Intelligence. (a.k.a EI)
It’s the ability to identify, assess and control the emotions of oneself…. others… and the group.
According to Daniel Goleman, author of Emotional Intelligence “Emotional Intelligence is the capacity for recognizing our own feelings and those of others, for motivating ourselves, and for managing emotions well in ourselves and others.”
The emotional intelligence of right sort can be your shield against some of the most common and exponentially rocketing Depression, Anxiety problems, Addictions, OCDs and panic attacks. Developing and enhancing emotional intelligence can play a significant role in work environments, building teams, parenting and relationship issues.
With the right emotional intelligence skills, you control your emotions, not the other way round.
Quick Check on what’s your Emotional Intelligence?
Rate yourself as: (1=Always, 2=Usually, 3=Sometimes, 4=Rarely, 5=Never)
- Are you comfortable with your financial position?
- Does news of someone’s death depress you longer than other people around you?
- After watching a romantic movie do you feel depressed?
- Do you tend to take tranquilizers or anti-depressants when you are depressed?
- Do you think things could go wrong because of others faults?
- Do you see the doctor only when the emergency arises?
- Do you feel lazy/bored to start a day when you know it’s filled with distasteful jobs?
- Do you get tempted to finish an interesting book or your favorite program on TV when you have something very important work to finish.
What does your score mean?
- Score of 30-40
You are stable person, giving guidance to others and very stable in your own life. May be you are too rational and need to bring some more emotions into your life.
- Score of 24-29
You may have tendency to avoid difficult situations at times, but otherwise you are quite stable.
- Score 18-23
You are emotional person, perhaps living in a world of your own. You may need to build up more maturity and bring about stability in life.
- Score below 18
You seem to have lost your grip over life and it may be good to seek help from friends or a professional. There is considerable scope for improvement.
– Sajid Ahamed